Ludwig Beck/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Ludwig Beck, or pages that link to Ludwig Beck or to this page or whose text .
- World War II : War between the Allies (most notably the UK, US and Soviet Union) and the Axis (principally Germany and Japan) 1939–1945.
- German Resistance : Individuals and groups in Nazi Germany who opposed the regime of Adolf Hitler between 1933 and 1945.
- National Socialism : Add brief definition or description
- Adolf Hitler : (1889–1945) Politician in Germany; became 1921 Nazi Party leader, 1933 Reichskanzler (Chancellor), then 1934 as der Führer dictator before and during World War II.
- Assassination attempts against Hitler : Add brief definition or description
- 1944 assassination attempt against Hitler : An assassination and coup attempt principally by senior anti-Nazi German Army officers, in which Hitler was injured and the coup failed
- Carl Goedeler : (1884-1944) Elected mayor of Leipzig, Germany in 1930, and holding anti-Nazi views, he resigned in 1937, and began traveling in search of a negotiated peace for Germany; worked with Ludwig Beck in the 20th of July planning; was to have been named Reich Chancellor had the coup succeeded; captured, interrogated under torture for five months, and executed
- Ulrich von Hassell : (1881-1944) German diplomat; entered Foreign Office in 1908; dismissed for anti-Nazi views 1938; joined Ludwig Beck and Carl Goerdeler in assassination planning; tried to recruit Franz Halder, Friedrich Fromm and Erwin Rommel; arrested and executed after 1944 assassination attempt against Hitler
- Artur Nebe : German police officer before the Nazis, first sympathetic then part of the resistance; headed KRIPO and then an Einsatzgruppe; executed for anti-Nazi activities
- Friedrich Olbricht : (1888-1944) Generalleutnant and Chief of Staff of the Ersatzheer under Friedrich Fromm; planner of Operation Valkyrie with Ludwig Beck and Carl Goerdeler; issued Valkyrie order; shot by Fromm's order, along with Claus von Stauffenberg, the night of the 1944 assassination attempt against Hitler;
- Hans Oster : Officer in the WWII German Army; Deputy Chief of the Abwehr military organization reporting to Admiral Wilhelm Canaris; active member of the German Resistance; eventually executed in Flossenburg Concentration Camp
- Claus von Stauffenberg : (1907-1944) [Count von Stauffenberg] Colonel, German Army; Chief of Staff of the Ersatzheer; led 1944 assassination attempt against Hitler, personally placed bomb, and was executed that night
Attempted to recruit
- Friedrich Fromm : (1888-1945) General, German Army; Commander of the Ersatzheer (Replacement Army), under Ludwig Beck (1937-1944) and chief of armaments (1939-44); aware of but did not participate in 1944 assassination attempt against Hitler; had key conspirators shot to cover himself but was later attested and executed.
- Franz Halder : Add brief definition or description
- Erwin Rommel : Field Marshal in the WWII German Army; distinguished German junior infantry officer in WWI; especially noted for leadership in the WWII North African and Atlantic Coast campaigns; forced to commit suicide by Hitler when implicated as his replacement as head of state by the 20th of July plot