Citizendium Forums
April 19, 2014, 17:02:20 UTC *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: POSTING RULES FOR MAIN CZ BOARDS: (1) The CZ Forums are Citizens-only (a "Citizen" is a Citizendium member). Non-Citizens may use only the "Non-Citizen comments" board, but still must register before posting (it's easy!). Non-Citizen posts elsewhere will be summarily deleted. (2) All must use their own real names. To edit your displayed name, click on Profile > Account Related Settings. (3) Citizens must link to their CZ user pages. To edit your signature, click on Profile > Forum Profile Information.
Click here to return to the wikiE-mail support

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nancy Sculerati  (Read 4759 times)
Sculerati
« on: February 16, 2007, 20:38:35 UTC »

I am very sorry that I had to leave Citizendium. I enjoyed writing on the wiki more than anything and I miss you all. It has come to my attention that not only has vandalism forced me to leave, but that continued vandalism in my absence has been carried out "under my name". Rather than be silent, I would appreciate if the people who know me would stick up for me if they have any respect for me. I worked as hard as anyone I think, gave money and lots of time to Citizendium, and I am not sorry for any of it. I am sorry, however, that people apparently willing to believe that the real Nancy Sculerati has been making recent harrassing posts. I am sorry too that the men of Citizendium look the other way instead of defend women's reputations when they are smeared. I was a strong advocate of "real names" and I must admit, at this point, I would not advise a female register under her own name. Maybe there are women who can be called the things I have been called and 'just overlook it', but I don't know any.
Chris Day
Forum Regular

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 20:57:39 UTC »

It has come to my attention that not only has vandalism forced me to leave, but that continued vandalism in my absence has been carried out "under my name"........I am sorry, however, that people apparently willing to believe that the real Nancy Sculerati has been making recent harrassing posts. 

First it was quite obvious the impersonator was not you. No one who has edited with you would have made such a mistake.

I am sorry too that the men of Citizendium look the other way instead of defend women's reputations when they are smeared. I was a strong advocate of "real names" and I must admit, at this point, I would not advise a female register under her own name.

I have to say that your absense is a mystery to me, it is clear there are things that have been said and edited here that have passed quite a few of us by. My first hint was the obvious absense of your edits poping up on the recent changess along with the red link to your name.

With regard to defending you, or anyone, it is possible i just ignored the comments as obvious trolling. Clearly we have had a lot recently. In general, it is not worth commenting about obvious trolls since that is exactly what they want. But it sounds like something worse than that has happened, maybe people commenting outside of citizendium?  A hate site? Unfortunately, there are people out there whose only goal is to bring good people down. They live for the unwarranted attention this brings to themselves.

I think this should be a lesson that citizendium needs to have tighter doors. But how to stop the ignorami and thugs is another matter? But if this is causing good people to leave the project it has to be a priority.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 21:12:48 UTC by Chris Day » Logged

Christo Muller
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 22:57:07 UTC »

I have to join Chris here in saying that the whole thing is a complete mystery to me, so that I have no idea what happened when, and the first I heard was from a constable when I asked where your page was, since I was going to ask Nancy for a comment. It would be nice if one could just keep one's name, ensure a strong account password, have one's user page and talk blocked, wiki-based e-mail disabled, and take time out for a while until the dust has settled. There are a number of suggestions that will increase the safety of the system that the people are looking into (though there was one Larry Tester S, who deviously sneaked past all defences Smiley). I believe that the virulence and more than 9-year old sophistication of the present spate of attacks makes their eventual containment more certain than if they had been low grade simple irritations, not justifying much response. One scenario could be that as larger blocks of IP addresses become blocked (CZ blocks very quickly), which I see as likely to happen, then ordinary users are going to become quite angry at their ISPs for not identifying and eliminating those placing them at such a disadvantage. I have to agree with with Chris that the recent impersonation was rather transparent. Fortunately clever vandals are as scare as teeth on chickens. --~~~~

Stephen Ewen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 00:29:19 UTC »

Nancy, I do not think anyone who knows you or who has become acquainted with you on CZ would even for a moment entertain the notion that you are at fault in any way whatsoever as regards this matter. Your true character is completely and obviously incompatible with those things "said" by the vandals.  Retreat for a time, perhaps. Reward the vandal by departing, no. I think you are too valuable to allow that to happen.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:25:35 UTC by Stephen Ewen » Logged
Versuri
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:02:30 UTC »

Your true character is completely and obviously incompatible with those things "said" by the vandals. 
I Agree 100%

there are people out there whose only goal is to bring good people down.
Nancy, you´re very important to  CZ. Do not let those vandals win.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:08:47 UTC by Versuri » Logged
Nancy Sculerati
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 22:42:14 UTC »

Thanks everybody! I hope to be back soon.  Smiley

Sudarshan Palliyil
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 14:36:15 UTC »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

We want u back nancy.

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Anthony Sebastian
Managing Editor

"United we stand, divided we fall." --Aesop

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 18:23:34 UTC »

Nancy:  You've got my vote of confidence, appreciation, and admiration.  And you've go my vote to stay on board.  I feel certain CZ will solve the problem of vandalism.

Anthony.Sebastian, Managing Editor

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/User:Anthony.Sebastian
TonySeb's Commonplace Blog: http://tonyseb.blogspot.com/

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important.  —Bertrand Russell, philosopher (1872-1970), mathematician, author, Nobel Laureate

The most complicated machines are made from words. -Jacques Lacan
Nancy Sculerati
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 19:55:22 UTC »

Well, I came back. Hopefully, the bad old days won't return. Thanks everyone for your support, and I'm sorry others were so viciously attacked after my absence. It's easy to discount the vandals on the basis of the lowliness of their aim. It would be easier if there were not so many real world attacks that go on in just the mode they chose. They may have just been kids, but so were the Hitler Youth. Making the hard stand against them is the superior course. They drove me out, and now, that they have been driven out, I'm happy to be back at work on Citizendium.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 21:54:18 UTC by Nancy Sculerati » Logged

Zachary Pruckowski
Forum Communicator

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 23:21:00 UTC »

Yippee!!!

Well, I came back. Hopefully, the bad old days won't return. Thanks everyone for your support, and I'm sorry others were so viciously attacked after my absence. It's easy to discount the vandals on the basis of the lowliness of their aim. It would be easier if there were not so many real world attacks that go on in just the mode they chose. They may have just been kids, but so were the Hitler Youth. Making the hard stand against them is the superior course. They drove me out, and now, that they have been driven out, I'm happy to be back at work on Citizendium.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: